Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl
People always ask me for new breakfast ideas. Their minds always go to fruit, pancakes, waffles… and don’t get me wrong they are delicious, but having a savoury breakfast like this is packed with a lot of key nutrients and healthy fats. Healthy fats can be one of the hardest things to incorporate into our breakfast and it really helps fuel your brain for the day ahead.
One nice thing about this recipe, is that you can easily roast a large batch of sweet potato in the oven to have on hand for some quick breakfasts during the week. You can easily top it with a variety of different toppings, like leftover veggies. Bacon would also be a yummy addition as a weekend treat.
This version is topped with some arugula, cooked onions and kale, avocado and eggs.
This bowl is great to top with a dressing like a green goddess avocado or lemon tahini. I didn’t have any tahini on hand so I made a quick Lime Cumin Dressing to drizzle over the greens and sweet potato. It also tastes delish without a dressing. The egg yolk is kind like a dressing. Here is the lime cumin dressing below in case you were curious.
LIME CUMIN DRESSING
1 lime juiced, 2 tbsp of olive oil, 1/2 tbsp of raw honey, and a pinch of sea salt and cumin powder. Whisk to combine.
- 3 sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tsp of chili powder
- 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 tsp of Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tbsp of avocado oil
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 3 cups of curly kale, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into slices
- 1 tbsp of ghee
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 cups of arugula
- eggs (however many you want)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cilantro for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Place chopped sweet potato on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drizzle avocado oil and add chili powder, smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Mix with hands and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the sweet potato is cooking, heat a skillet on low heat add 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add in the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add in the garlic for 1 minute then add in the kale. Add in 1 tbsp of ghee and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the kale is cooked, another 5 minutes or so.
- Cook eggs as desired.
- Assemble your bowl. Layer the sweet potato at the bottom. Add some arugula and sliced avocado. Drizzle with dressing of choice, like the lime cumin dressing. Top with the onion kale mixture and eggs. Garnish with cilantro.
Add A Comment