Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken
I am saying this now, slow cookers are the best. Every time I use mine, I think to myself, why don’t I use it more often? I mean what’s not to love, you throw everything in the Crock Pot, leave and come home to a delicious dinner.
Butter chicken is a great family recipe, it’s full of flavour while not really being spicy, making it family friendly. I wanted to test out doing a slow cooker version and it was a success! I have a wide variety of spices at home for recipes just like this. Bulk Barn is a great place to get spices in smaller quantities that you may not use very often.
So many of the Indian spices are anti-inflammatory. Turmeric and ginger definitely get the most attention, but others like cayenne and cardamom are also great. Since dairy is often an anti-inflammatory trigger for many, I wanted to make this recipe dairy-free. I did use ghee which is considered dairy but most of the inflammatory proteins have been removed which is why I love using it. You can easily sub this with coconut oil or vegan butter if you have a severe dairy allergy. If you don’t know what ghee is, read my post about the health benefits of ghee here.
I love cooking recipes from different cultures. It is never too young to start introducing different flavours and spices to your kids. The earlier the better.
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp of grated ginger
- ¼ tsp of ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon
- ½ tsp of turmeric
- ½ tsp of coriander
- 2 tsp of garam masala
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 1/8 tsp of cayenne
- 3 tbsp of ghee (or vegan butter or coconut oil)
- 4 chicken breasts
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup of tomato passata
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup of coconut yogurt (no sweetener) optional
- 1 ½ tbsp of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 2 bay leaves
- ¾ tsp of sea salt
- Prepare your spice mix in a small bowl. Combine the cardamom, cinnamon, turmeric, coriander, garam masala, chili powder and cayenne. Stir to combine.
- Dice the onion and mince the cloves of garlic.
- Chop the chicken breast into 1-inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 tbsp of coconut oil to a pan on medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the garlic and 1 tbsp of grated ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the 3 tbsp of ghee, pour in the entire spice mix and stir. Turn up the heat and add in the cubed chicken. Stir to spread the spice mix over all of the chicken. Cook until browned for 2 – 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In the slow cooker, add the tomato passata, coconut milk, yogurt (optional), lemon juice, 1 tbsp of grated ginger, pinch of red pepper flakes and ¾ tsp of sea salt, and black pepper to taste. Whisk it all together to combine. Pour in the chicken and onion mixture along with all the juices. Add in 2 bay leaves and stir. Cover with a lid and cook on low heat for 6 – 8 hours or high heat for 3 – 4 hours.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve with brown basmati rice or cauliflower rice.
Add A Comment