Mango and Shrimp Fresh Spring Rolls
Fresh spring rolls are one of my favourite things to eat. I love them more than fried spring rolls because they aren’t oily and heavy, making them the perfect appetizer or snack. And let’s be honest, anything that I can dunk into peanut sauce is a win in my books. I also included a recipe for a healthier peanut sauce that you can easily make at home using just a few ingredients. I tried to keep it as natural as possible. Feel free to use this sauce for other dishes as well.
I made two types of rice wraps. The base is the same for both; cucumber, carrots, red cabbage, and vermicelli noodles. For the shrimp rolls I added basil and shrimp, while the other half of the rolls I added mint and mango.
This recipe does take some patience to make, time will vary based on how quickly you can chop up the veggies and roll your rice wraps. I am definitely a beginner at rolling these bad boys, but I found it to be a really fun activity. You can even get your kids or family to help. For soaking the rice wraps just follow the package instructions, even if they feel a bit firm when you take them out they soften up by the time you roll everything up. I left some of them in the water too long and they did start to break apart a bit after I rolled them. No harm, they still made it into my belly. Yum!
- 1 package of rice wrap papers
- 1 large cucumber
- 4 large carrots
- 1 small red cabbage
- 1 head of lettuce
- 1 lb of cooked shrimp
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 package of thin vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 bunch of mint
- 1 bunch of basil
- 1/3 cup of creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp of light tamari
- 1 tbsp of lime juice
- 5 – 6 tbsp of water
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup
- Boil some water and cook the rice noodles as per the package directions. Once cooked strain and run with cold water to stop the cooking and set aside.
- Prep your veggies by cutting them into thin rectangular strips. Do this with the carrot and cucumber. You can also opt to shred the carrots if you find that easier. Slice the red cabbage into strips as well.
- Cut the mango into 2 halves, slice vertically down into strips (not piercing the skin). With a knife, horizontally glide close to the skin to cut the slices. You can also opt to cut in chunks. Also roughly chop the lettuce, mint and basil.
- Have all of your ingredients ready to assemble. Boil some water and have a large circular baking dish handy that would fit the rice wrap sheet. Pour the warm water into the dish and place your rice wrap. Follow the instructions. Let it soak for 5 second, remove and place on a clean surface. Fill your wrap with your desired toppings.
- For the shrimp wraps, place lettuce, carrots, cabbage, cucumber and vermicelli noodles. Place 2 basil leaves, 2 -3 shrimps and roll. For the mango rolls, follow the same steps up until the noodles. Then place chopped mint leaves and mango strips and roll.
- To make your peanut sauce, whisk the peanut butter, tamari, lime juice, water and maple syrup. Whisk until smooth. Add more water if you prefer a runnier sauce. Now dip and eat!
Add A Comment