Hawaiian Pineapple Chicken Skewers
Absolutely loving all of the tropical flavours this summer. This year, I have become obsessed with grilled pineapple, so naturally I needed to post a recipe using it. The flavours in these chicken skewers are a fusion of BBQ and Teriyaki and it tastes so good.
Tip: when shopping for a healthier BBQ sauce, try and choose one that uses simple whole food and spice ingredients and be mindful of the sugar content and sources. I recently bought one that is sweetened with only dates that I am excited to try!
Skewers are just so fun to make because you can mix and match different proteins, veggies and fruit. For these, I used chicken, pineapple, red onion and zucchini but you can include your favourite veggies. I also added some ham to the skewers because pineapple and ham just go so well together.
I definitely recommend marinating it for at least a couple of hours, it will result in more flavourful and juicy chicken.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 100 g of natural nitrate free ham, sliced or cubed
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 red onion
- 1 pineapple
- 3 tbsp of natural bbq sauce
- 2 tbsp of tamari
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 grated cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp of rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp of grated ginger
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Make your marinade by combining the bbq sauce, tamari, olive oil, garlic, rice vinegar, and grated ginger.
- Chop your chicken breasts into cubes, season with sea salt and pepper and pour 2/3 of the marinade on the chicken. Let it marinade for a couple hours or overnight.
- Chop your zucchini in half vertically then chop into half moons. Season with salt and pepper. Chop the onion into large chunks and the pineapple into wedges.
- Assemble your skewers by adding chicken, ham slices, pineapple, onion and zucchini.
- Place on a grill or BBQ and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 – 20 minutes. For the last few minutes brush the remaining sauce on both sides of the skewers.
- Serve with rice, cauliflower rice or a salad.